from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of the cells of the gonads in male organisms that are the progenitors of spermatocytes.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of the undifferentiated cells in the male gonads that become spermatocytes; a spermatoblast
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A primitive seminal cell, occuring in masses in the seminal tubules. It divides into a mass (spermosphere) of small cells (spermoblast), which in turn give rise to spermatozoids.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In botany, same as pycnidium, 1.
- n. A primitive or formative seminal cell, forming a kind of sperm-morula, or spermosphere composed of spermatoblasts or spermatocytes, which in turn give rise to spermatozooids.
New Latin : spermato- + -gonium, seed; see spermagonium.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)