American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Positioned with the arms and legs stretched out.
- adj. Informal Full of patriotic or jingoistic rhetoric.
- v. To place in a spread-eagle position, especially as a means of punishment.
- v. To assume a spread-eagle position.
- v. To make a grandiloquent, patriotic speech.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Having the form or characteristics of a spread eagle, or of the kind of display so called; hence, ostentatious; bombastic; boastful: as, a spread-eagle oration. See spread eagle, under eagle.
- To stretch out in the attitude of a spread eagle.
- adj. Lying with arms and legs outstretched and separated.
- adj. colloquial, humorous Characterized by a pretentious, boastful, exaggerated style; bombastic.
- adv. With arms and legs extended and spread.
- v. transitive To put into a spread-eagle position, with arms and legs extended and spread.
- v. intransitive To put one's body in a spread eagle.
GNU Webster's 1913
- (Her.) An eagle displayed; an eagle with the wings and legs extended on each side of the body, as in the double-headed eagle of Austria and Russia. See Displayed, 2.
- adj. Colloq. & Humorous Characterized by a pretentious, boastful, exaggerated style; defiantly or extravagantly bombastic, especially regarding of the greatness of the U. S..
- v. To assume a spread-eagled position; -- it may be done reclining, for relaxation, or momentarily, as an exhibitionary maneuver in a sport.
- n. a skating figure executed with the skates heel to heel in a straight line
- n. an emblem (an eagle with wings and legs spread) on the obverse of the Great Seal of the United States
- v. execute a spread eagle on skates, with arms and legs stretched out
- v. defeat disastrously
- v. stretch out completely
- adj. with arms and legs stretched out and apart
- v. stretch over
- v. stand with arms and legs spread out
- v. defeat disastrously
- From splayed-eagle (in heraldry), splayed + eagle (Wiktionary)
“I made the mistake of agreeing to be on local 10 o'clock news to discuss the Target snow angel ad (with the woman laying spread-eagle on the bullseye logo).”
“One group got picked up, and when the last guy, in a suit and tie, couldn't fit in the car, he laid spread-eagle on the hood and the car took off with him.”
“Proving the adage that no good turn goes unpunished, Kate took the inevitable spill and wound up sprawled spread-eagle on the floor.”
“I awoke sometime later, tied spread-eagle in the bottom of an empty wading pool, facing the dark ceiling of a musty warehouse.”
“Indeed, even without the spread-eagle stripper, this was an NSFW show that was checking IDs at the door.”
“Still, media outlets like TMZ and Perez Hilton earn millions of subscribers and dollars off the taboo irony of the NSFW image -- the wardrobe malfunctions and oops! a panty-less starlet spread-eagle exiting her Maybach.”
“In another scene, Spain's Rocio Delgado was caught, spread-eagle, over a jump, then face-planted herself at the bottom.”
“We students filed into the newborn nursery to find a baby strapped spread-eagle to a plastic board on a counter-top across the room.”
“It had been replaced by the rear-facing blonde, long legs spread-eagle.”
“I'm forced to sit spread-eagle, which gets tiring after a couple hours.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘spread-eagle’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
States of being are listed on oofy.
Looking for tweets for spread-eagle.