American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- v. To engage in a disagreeable argument, usually over a trivial matter; wrangle. See Synonyms at argue.
- n. A noisy quarrel, usually about a trivial matter.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To engage in a noisy quarrel or row; wrangle; quarrel and fight noisily; brawl; scuffle.
- Synonyms To jangle. See quarrel, n.
- In printing, to disarrange andmix (lines of composed types) when they are standing on their feet.
- n. A wrangle; a dispute; a brawl; a scuffle; a noisy quarrel.
- n. Synonyms Brawl, Wrangle, etc. See quarrel.
- n. A minor fight or argument as between children, for example.
- v. To participate in a minor fight or argument.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. To contend for superiority in an unseemly manner; to scuffle; to struggle; to wrangle; to quarrel.
- v. To debate peevishly; to dispute.
- v. (Print.) To disarrange, so that the letters or lines stand awry or are mixed and need careful readjustment; -- said of type that has been set up.
- n. A scuffle; a wrangle; a brawl.
- n. a quarrel about petty points
- v. argue over petty things
- Probably of North Germanic origin, related to Swedish dialectal skvabbel ("a dispute, quarrel, gossip"), Norwegian dialectal skvabba ("to prattle"), German dialectal schwabbeln ("to babble, prattle"), Swedish dialectal skvappa ("to chide, scold", literally "make a splash"). (Wiktionary)
- Probably of Scandinavian origin. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“the title squabble between the Saints and the Colts.”
“The current squabble is nothing new, but it could herald far-reaching change: The U.K. government has pledged to extricate itself from the unedifying annual spectacle by removing the role of the secretary of state from determining the levy scheme, and there is a sense that this represents an opportunity to remodel the levy with a viable commercial mechanism.”
“There's a custody squabble, which is not helped by possible future deployments and MEU's.”
“NANCY GRACE, COURT TV: Well, I know it is being characterized as a squabble, Larry, but I think the bottom line is that every victim's family -- and I'm speaking not just as a former prosecutor but as a victim of violent crime -- every victim's family wants that case to go forward, and they want to make sure that their loved ones 'case is protected.”
“One-Eye mentions that whenever they get into a squabble, which is about as often as there is an audience but nobody to get between them.”
“He mentions it whenever he and One-Eye get into a squabble, which is about as often as they see one another.”
“I need my whole crew if we are to get the accursed things to the mouth of the Zaporoska in the time specified, and the only two who have heeded my call squabble like dockers with their heads full of wine.”
“Another important factor that led to the squabble was the rumoured intention of deputy president Peter Nyarok to resign to pave the way for treasurer Tiong King Sing to take over during the party's triennial general assembly last December.”
“Pepall, who has been overseeing Canwest's court-directed creditor protection, called the squabble over the terms of the sale "ridiculous" and sent lawyers for Canwest and the ad hoc committee of noteholders behind closed doors to reach an agreement early Tuesday morning.”
“There ` s been a kind of squabble over that book that ` s ongoing.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘squabble’.
A complete Barron's Wordlist for GRE preparation. Your online flashcard replacement.
English words of Anglo-Saxon origin.
Words for Talking
( open list, randomness )
words for fighting
( open list, randomness )
words that describe sound
COLLECT FROM DIFFERENT PAPERS,WEBSITES,BOOKS AND MOVIES.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 3063 more...
This is a mix of new words I've read studying for the GRE verbal and words I use normally. I also check back on these words if I don't use them often enough.
Words as I learn them.
Looking for tweets for squabble.