from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A supporting timber or other prop in a mine.
- n. A platform braced against the sides of a working area in a mine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A framework of timber covered with boards to support rubbish or to protect miners from falling stones.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A framework of timber covered with boards to support rubbish; also, a framework of boards to protect miners from falling stones.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In mining, a heavy timber secured in an excavation, and especially in the stopes.
- n. A luncheon; also, a large piece of bread, cheese, or other eatable.
Probably from German Stollen, from Middle High German stolle, prop, support, from Old High German stollo.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Compare stum. (Wiktionary)