from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The part of a microscope located below the stage on which attachments are held in place.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The stage, below the main stage of a microscope, to which attachments are fixed.
- n. A stage making up part of a larger stage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An attachment to the compound microscope, placed beneath the ordinary stage, and used to support the achromatic condenser, the polarizing prism, etc.
- n. In geology, one of the subdivisions of a stage or group.
sub- + stage (Wiktionary)