from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An officer on a merchant ship who has charge of the cargo and its sale and purchase.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An officer on board a merchant ship who has charge of the cargo.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An officer or person in a merchant ship, whose duty is to manage the sales, and superintend the commercial concerns, of the voyage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A person in a merchant ship whose business is to manage the sales and superintend all the commercial concerns of the voyage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an officer on a merchant ship in charge of the cargo and its sale and purchase
Alteration (influenced by super-) of supracargo, alteration (influenced by supra-) of Spanish sobrecargo : sobre-, over (from Latin super-; see super-) + cargo, cargo; see cargo.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)