from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small traveling car, usually driven by electricity, suspended from or moving on an overhead rail or cable.
- n. A transportation system using telphers.
- transitive v. To transport by telpher.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An electric-run cable car used for transportation, along overhead wires.
- n. A system of transportation using telphers.
- v. To transport with a telpher.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A contrivance for the conveyance of vehicles or loads by means of electricity.
- n. Specif., the equipment or apparatus used in a system of electric transportation by means of carriages which are suspended on an overhead conductor, as of wire.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The motor employed in hauling the carriers of a telpherage system.
- Of or relating to a system of telpherage.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of the conveyances (or cars) in a telpherage
Alteration of telepher : tele- + Greek pherein, to carry; see bher-1 in Indo-European roots.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)