from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. a sharp, hooked nail used for fastening cloth on a tenter.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A hook for stretching cloth on a tenter.
- n. Figuratively, anything that painfully strains, racks, or tortures.
- n. In heraldry, a bearing representing an iron hook with the straight bar pointed at one end, and projecting beyond the bent or angled part at the other, so that it can be driven in by blows of a hammer.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. one of a series of hooks used to hold cloth on a tenter
Sorry, no etymologies found.