from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A yellow crystalline compound, C22H24N2O8, synthesized or derived from certain microorganisms of the genus Streptomyces and used as a broad-spectrum antibiotic.
- n. An antibiotic, such as chlortetracycline and oxytetracycline, having the same basic structure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An antibiotic produced by the Streptomyces bacterium.
- n. Any antibiotic with the same general structure derived from tetracene with many hydroxyl and other groups.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an antibiotic (trade name Achromycin) derived from microorganisms of the genus Streptomyces and used broadly to treat infections
tetra- + cycl(ic) + -ine2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
tetra- + cycline (Wiktionary)