from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A main road or public highway.
- n. A place of passage from one location to another.
- n. Right to such passage.
- n. A heavily traveled passage, such as a waterway, strait, or channel.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A passage; a way through.
- n. A road open at both ends or connecting one area with another; a highway or main street.
- n. The act of going through; passage; travel, transit.
- n. An unobstructed waterway allowing passage for ships.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A passage through; a passage from one street or opening to another; an unobstructed way open to the public; a public road; hence, a frequented street.
- n. A passing or going through; passage.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. That through which one goes; a place of travel or passage.
- n. Specifically— A place through which much traffic passes.
- n. A road for public use; a highway; a public street, unobstructed and open at both ends.
- n. A strait of water, or a neck of land connecting two bodies of water, habitually traversed by wild fowl in migrating or passing to and from their feeding-grounds.
- n. Passage; travel; transit.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a public road from one place to another
The main thoroughfare to the cemetary was lined with local people selling bread, peanuts, ice cream and flowers along with the impromptu "porch cafes" which remain as simple homes except for this one night only.
Walking south down 16th Street, vendors lined the main thoroughfare with Obama-faced trinkets.
During that time, the Charlottesville MPO has found reason after reason to resist moving forward with a bypass that would take through traffic off a main thoroughfare jammed with traffic lights and shopping centers.
From the Washington Post: In addition, members of a the group Ansar-e Hezbollah, known for its attacks on people who criticize Iran's supreme leader, announced plans for a motorcycle parade Thursday on Tehran's main thoroughfare, Vali-e Asr Street, to promote calm in Iranian society, the semi-official state Fars news agency reported.
As Mr. Cross envisions it, West 34th Street would become a brand-name thoroughfare like 57th and 42nd streets, with an identity formed around sports instead of theater or shopping.
These pictures now centering down on the thoroughfare, that is a bit away from the area of the Mahane Yehuda market, where the bomb was reported to have been exploded.
But between the two houses on the other side of the thoroughfare was a considerable open space, and through this, far away, on the mount, could be seen the château.
On the south side of the thoroughfare were the mansions of bishops and nobles dotted at sparse intervals; on the north was open country.
The thoroughfare was a revelation to him, just as it is to every one seeing it for the first time.
Broadway any time from nine o'clock in the morning until nine at night, and you will find about equal numbers of men and women crowding that thoroughfare, which is never still.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.