from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Sports A brief cessation of play at the request of a sports team or an official for rest, consultation, or making substitutions.
- n. A short break from work or play.
- n. A corrective measure or punishment for young children in which they are separated from others for a brief period.
- n. The place, especially a chair, used for such a measure or punishment.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A short break in the action of a sport, for substitution, consultation, etc.
- n. A break from a tense, heated or stressful situation (often enforced, sometimes as a disciplinary measure); a cooling-off period.
- n. The intentional ending of an incomplete task after a time limit considered a long enough for it to end normally.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a brief suspension of play
Sorry, no etymologies found.