from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A metal box for holding tinder.
- n. A potentially explosive place or situation: referred to the crowded prison as a tinderbox of suppressed violence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small container containing flint, steel, and tinder (dry, finely-divided fibrous matter), once used to help kindle a fire.
- n. a place that is so dry and hot that there is danger of fire.
- n. a potentially dangerous situation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a dangerous state of affairs; a situation that is a potential source of violence
- n. a box for holding tinder
Sorry, no etymologies found.