from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To tear apart; tear to pieces or shreds; rend.
- v. To break.
- v. To disturb violently; agitate.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To tear or rend in pieces.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To tear apart; tear to pieces; rend; break.
- To disturb violently; agitate.
From Middle English toteren, from Old English tōteran ("to tear apart, tear asunder"), from Proto-Germanic *twiz- (“apart”), *tiranan (“to tear, tear away”), equivalent to to- + tear. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.