from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A deviation from a straight course; a turn.
- n. The shaping of metal or wood on a lathe.
- n. Shavings produced in shaping metal on a lathe.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A turn or deviation from a straight course.
- n. A shaping of wood or metal on a lathe.
- n. Shavings produced by turning something on a lathe.
- v. Present participle of turn.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The act of one who, or that which, turns; also, a winding; a bending course; a flexure; a meander.
- n. The place of a turn; an angle or corner, as of a road.
- n. Deviation from the way or proper course.
- n. Turnery, or the shaping of solid substances into various forms by means of a lathe and cutting tools.
- n. The pieces, or chips, detached in the process of turning from the material turned; -- usually used in the plural.
- n. A maneuver by which an enemy or a position is turned.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The act of one who or of that which turns. Specifically
- n. The practice of regular gymnastics according to the system of F. L. Jahn. See turner, 4.
- n. A winding; deviation from the straight, direct, or established course; a bend; a turn; also, the place where a road or street diverges or branches out from another.
- n. Milit., a manœuver by which an enemy or a position is turned.
- n. In obstetrics, the rectification of a malpresentation by bringing down the head or the feet. See version.
- n. The art or practice of shaping objects by means of cutting-tools while the objects themselves are revolved rapidly on a lathe.
- n. plural The chips detached in the process of turning.
- n. In ceramics, the operation of completing or rectifying the shape of a vase, or the like, before it is fired.
- n. A turn; a movement back and forth.
- n. The part of any textile fabric, leather, or any similar material turned in or under, to avoid making a raw edge.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a shaving created when something is produced by turning it on a lathe
- n. the end-product created by shaping something on a lathe
- n. the act of changing or reversing the direction of the course
- n. a movement in a new direction
- n. the activity of shaping something on a lathe
- n. act of changing in practice or custom
turn + -ing (Wiktionary)