from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Being such that defense or maintenance is impossible: an untenable position.
- adj. Being such that occupation or habitation is impossible: untenable quarters.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Not able to be held, as of an opinion or position; unholdable, indefensible.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Not tenable; that cannot be held in possession: as, an untenable post or fort. That cannot be maintained by argument; not defensible: as, an untenable doctrine.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of theories etc) incapable of being defended or justified
un- + tenable (Wiktionary)