from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, or constituting a vestige.
- adj. Biology Occurring or persisting as a rudimentary or degenerate structure.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Of or pertaining to a vestige or remnant; like a trace from the past.
- adj. Not fully developed in mature animals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Of or pertaining to a vestige or remnant; like a vestige.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Of, pertaining to, or of the nature of a vestige; like a mere trace of what has been; also, rudimentary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. not fully developed in mature animals
These rudimentary legs and pelvises are called vestigial structures; they are relics of the whales' common ancestry with their legged cousins.
If we only knew enough, we would, no doubt, discover a beneficial use for all the so-called vestigial organs.
For Darwin, the economy of nature had a ready explanation in natural selection, and the non-economical aspects of nature, such as vestigial organs, took on great significance.
They might have been external gills, some kind of vestigial ornamentation, or a sex attractant.
Like our five fingers, our ear-bones, our rudimentary caudal appendage, or our other 'vestigial' peculiarities, they may remain as indelible tokens of events in our race-history.
Two recurring examples are: a) it might lead us to think that junk DNA has some important function after all and b) it might similarly lead us to look for the function of so called vestigial organs.15
If ID is so down with genetic decay, they wouldn’t resist the idea of vestigial organs.
“It’s actually called a vestigial caudal appendage,” Helena said, as if that would be helpful.
There were enough of them who kept this kind of vestigial Republican loyalty from the Civil War years and the idea that the Republican Party was the party that freed the slaves.
A "vestigial" feature is something obselete that's still around -- a.k.a. the old Facebook groups
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.