from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adv. At or in what place: Where is the telephone?
- adv. In what situation or position: Where would we be without your help?
- adv. From what place or source: Where did you get this idea?
- adv. To what place; toward what end: Where is this argument leading?
- conj. At what or which place: She moved to the city, where jobs are available.
- conj. In a place in which: He lives where the climate is mild.
- conj. In any place or situation in which; wherever: Where there's smoke, there's fire.
- conj. To a place in which: We should go where it is quieter.
- conj. To a place or situation in which: They will go where they are happy.
- n. The place or occasion: We know the when but not the where of it.
- n. What place, source, or cause: Where are you from?
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- conj. While on the contrary; although; whereas.
- conj. At or in which place or situation.
- conj. To which place or situation.
- conj. Wherever.
- conj. In a position, case, etc., in which.
- adv. At what place; to what place; what place.
- adv. In what situation.
- pro. The place in which.
- n. The place in which something happens.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adv. At or in what place; hence, in what situation, position, or circumstances; -- used interrogatively.
- adv. At or in which place; at the place in which; hence, in the case or instance in which; -- used relatively.
- adv. To what or which place; hence, to what goal, result, or issue; whither; -- used interrogatively and relatively; as, where are you going?
- conj. Whereas.
- n. Place; situation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- At or in what place? in what position, situation, or circumstances?
- To which place? whither?
- From what source? whence?
- At or in which place, or the place in which; in which case, position, circumstances, etc.
- To which place; whither; to a place such that.
- Where, frequently having the force or function of a relative or other pronoun (which, what, etc.), is often used in composition with a following preposition: as, whereby, ‘by what,’ ‘by which’; wherewith, ‘with what,’ ‘with which.’ It was also formerly used after certain adverbs or adjectives in a general sense, as it still is in everywhere, somewhere (which see), Middle English widen wher (astray, at random), in forms corresponding to similar compounds of there (see there).
- A contracted form of whether.
- n. Whereabout; situation; place.
“In a world, where LifeAlert has failed…..where the fallen simply can not..get…up”
I don't know where the spec ops soldier gets off on saying the Canadians don't dismount on foot patrol..this is patently untrue,and if you have seen the combat videos,Canadas' mantra has been/will be aggressive patrolling..always has been..where has this greener beaner been?
My one was watching Leaving Las Vegas at the cinema with my sister - particularly the scene where Elizabeth Shue's character is explaining to her customers what they can and can't do... or more precisely *where*...
Resisting Reasonable Atrocity says we must speak out, but speaking out is hard to do and takes practice, and our church community should be a place where we can get such practice, where we can speak our minds and be taken seriously.
Just watch, Karr will not have done anything Eg false confession, however if anyone bothers to investigate where the last few deposits in his bank account came from it will be traced to sham corporation funded by republicans…..where? what NSA ruling?
I started out as a wee little brat in Los Altos for 6 years where we were accustomed to NON-white Christmases, then moved to Connecticut where we lived in quintessential New England suburbia..where we OFTEN had white Christmases.
Picking up her guitar, she removed herself to the far side of the glade, sitting down at an equal distance from where Kieran sat and ~where the wolf had vanished.
How different _this table_ from many others! where genteel sprightly conversations are shut out; _where_ such as cannot feast their senses on the genius of a _cook_, must rise unsatisfied.
For her, freedom meant the right to "go where she pleased"; but her love knew no _where_ but my father's roof and her darling's crib, nor anything so wrong as that right.
Give me one like this, where they've all got cards, _where they've all got cards that'll win if they play them right_, and then watch me.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.