from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. allowing selection from a fixed list of individually priced options shown on the menu
- adv. By ordering individually priced items from the menu
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. By a bill of fare: as, dinner à la carte, that is, a dinner in which only such dishes as have been ordered from the bill of fare are paid for: opposed to table d'hôte, in which a fixed charge is made covering the whole meal, whether all the dishes served in regular course are eaten, or only some of them. See carte, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of a restaurant meal) having unlimited choices with a separate price for each item
- n. a menu having individual dishes listed with separate prices
- adv. by ordering items listed individually on a menu
Borrowing from French à la carte ("on the menu; according to the card"). (Wiktionary)