from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- See Saint Augustine2.
- The capital of Texas, in the south-central part of the state. Austin was selected as the capital of the Republic of Texas in 1839 and became the permanent capital of the state of Texas in 1870. The main campus of the University of Texas (established 1881) is here. Population: 710,000.
- Austin, Stephen Fuller 1793-1836. American colonizer and political leader who worked to make Texas a state of Mexico but later helped Texas settlers gain their independence (1836).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city, the capital of Texas.
- proper n. A patronymic surname.
- proper n. A male given name, in modern usage transferred back from the surname.
- proper n. A former make of British motor car.
- adj. Augustinian
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Augustinian.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Same as Augustinian: as, Austin friars. See Augustin.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. state capital of Texas on the Colorado River; site of the University of Texas
TERRY LICKONA, PRODUCER, AUSTIN CITY LIMITS: It's no wonder that people, when they think of Austin, they think of music.
AMY HADLEY, NEWS-8 AUSTIN REPORTER: Well Tony, we are in Marble Falls, which is about 90 miles west of Austin.
(COMMERCIAL BREAK) (CELEBRATIONS IN AUSTIN, TEXAS) WOODRUFF: As we look at those live pictures of Austin, Texas, which is about 36 minutes into the year 2000, we're going to take you now -- Here's a quiz.
In a word, canons regular may be considered as the genus, and austin Canons as the species; or we may say that all Austin
AUSTIN - Thelma M. "Terry" Murphy, 83, formerly of Austin, died Thursday, Aug. 5, 2010, at Merrimack Valley Hospice House in Haverhill, Mass.
"Walking the concrete floors for so many games disappoints and joys and riding all the way back to austin just wanted to be a part of it watch my history go down with it," says Eli Casarez from Austin.
AUSTIN - Betty Mae Ellis, age 71 of Austin, went to be with the Lord Thursday evening,
AUSTIN, Texas - The University of Texas at Austin, citing the raging violence in northern Mexico, is ordering its foreign exchange students in Monterrey to return home.
AUSTIN - A thief who broke into a car in Austin and stole a purse also swiped an irreplaceable family item.
AUSTIN - Sandra Bullock was sitting on the backyard deck of her Austin, Texas mansion when she was asked if she had kissed any women lately.