from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Benton 1, Thomas Hart Called "Old Bullion.” 1782-1858. American legislator. A U.S. senator (1821-1851) and representative (1853-1855) from Missouri, he staunchly opposed the use of paper currency.
- Benton 2, Thomas Hart 1889-1975. American artist whose paintings and murals, such as The History of Missouri, were executed in a flat, realistic style known as regionalism and portrayed life in the Midwest and South.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A surname.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. fixed in your purpose
- n. United States legislator who opposed the use of paper currency (1782-1858)
- n. United States artist whose paintings portrayed life in the Midwest and South (1889-1975)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
At any rate, I came home with a pound and a half of sausage, a half-pound of bacon you really don't need more than a slice per meal, a few ham steaks, and what they call Benton's Prosciutto — by which they mean thinly sliced country ham.
Whirlpool, the world's largest appliance maker, based in Benton Harbor, Mich., reported a 9.2% fall in third-quarter earnings, largely because of antitrust fines, and said it is being forced to match rivals 'price cuts on front-loading washers and some other items as consumers pinch pennies.
Wonder what Don Benton is thinking (never thought I would ever say that).
SciTech, the museum in downtown Aurora that occupies the former U.S. post office on Benton, is experiencing budget pressure and has let go both its Executive Director and assistant.
All three were also put on bench probation during the hearing before Judge Locke Williams in Benton County Circuit Court.
Now that both are gone, Benton is calling the shots up front.
Blessedly, the Benton is not blocking LoS at the moment.
Kevin Benton of Beaumont (left) and Christle Colbert of Nashville talk during a 30th wedding anniversary celebration for her parents at Suga's restaurant.
It began when I needed some smoked sausage from Benton's, I called Benton before driving out there it's 2 1/2 hour round trip and he'd sold his last batch to Blackberry Farm.
After I made the reservations, I called Benton Wesley.