from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A region of the southern and eastern United States, usually comprising the states that joined the Confederacy during the Civil War. The term was popularized in the minstrel song "Dixie's Land,” written by Daniel D. Emmett (1815-1904) in 1859.
- n. Any one of several songs bearing this name, popular as Confederate war songs.
- idiom whistle Dixie Slang To engage in unrealistically rosy fantasizing: "If you think mass transportation is going to replace the automobile I think you're whistling Dixie” ( Henry Ford II).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. The southern United States; the South.
- proper n. The southwestern corner of Utah.
- proper n. A female given name transferred from the place name.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- proper n. A colloquial name for the Southern portion of the United States, esp. during the Civil War.
- proper n. a song popular in the Confederate states during the American Civil War, and still played as a nostalgic anthem by those patriotic to the American south. It was written by Daniel D. Emmett in 1859.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the southern states that seceded from the United States in 1861
- n. a large metal pot (12 gallon camp kettle) for cooking; used in military camps
I guess this guy Vitter thinks "Dixie" is gonna rise again.
Here in Dixie, the Atlanta Backyard Poultry meetup group boasts more than 700 members who rotate meeting locations around the metro area.
Ive lived in Dixie for quite some time now, and i am amazed that every native of Southern culture still harbors hatred for anyone that comes from up North, particularly the Northeast.
But Dixie is a traditional Scots-American - Creol southern tune which predates the civil war and the post war racist connotations of the song.
Houser's debut album, Anything Goes, has sold 130,000 copies, and a new single, Whistlin 'Dixie, from a planned 2010 album, is now climbing the chart, currently at No. 46.
Put in Dixie, and it is only running behind in a serious way.
Dixie is a fun Brittney Spaniel that likes to hunt birds even at 4 months.
I noted that Bush won every state in Dixie in both 2000 and 2004, while losing big in non-Dixie America.
I knew he was the best bird shot in Dixie according to some.
Dixie is actually short for the part of the US south of the Mason-Dixon line.