from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of northeast Texas, an industrial suburb of Dallas. Population: 218,000.
- Garland, (Hannibal) Hamlin 1860-1940. American writer whose stories and novels, including the autobiographical A Son of the Middle Border (1917), depict the hardships endured by Midwestern farmers.
- Garland, Judy Originally Frances Gumm. 1922-1969. American actress and singer best remembered for her performance as Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz (1939).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An occupational surname for a maker or seller of garlands.
- proper n. Any of a number of places named for persons with the surname, including a large suburb of Dallas, Texas (USA).
Sorry, no etymologies found.
GARLAND - The bodies of a Sachse man and his son were discovered in a picnic area at One Eleven Ranch Park in Garland Friday morning.
GARLAND - Garland police have charged a man with the capital murder of his 4-month-old daughter, who disappeared in 2006 and is presumed dead.
GARLAND - Sarah Mullicane pitched a three-hit shutout while fanning six to pace Brook Hill to a 12-0 win Tuesday afternoon over Garland Christian in Garland.
GARLAND - A Garland police officer is trying to pick up the pieces after a high-speed chase ended in his backyard.
GARLAND - Two men and a woman were found dead inside a north Garland home after a 14-hour standoff Sunday.
GARLAND - Garland police are looking for two men who took part in a home invasion and assaulted a person inside.
The other signee, Tyrone Garland, is a three-star guard prospect out of Philadelphia.
Eddie Contreras, youth pastor at Walnut Park Casa De Mi Gloria Church in Garland, Texas, was speaking to a group of students Friday evening (Sept. 24) when Jose Pablo, a student struggling with family problems, walked into the service.
And everyone knows that Garland is the evil nemesis from the first Final Fantasy.
Diana Garland is Dean of the School of Social Work at Baylor University and co-author of the study "How Clergy Sexual Misconduct Happens," and she was kind enough to join us on the phone from Allenspark, Colorado.