from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A trademark used for an Internet search engine. This trademark often occurs in print as a verb, sometimes in lowercase: "A high school English teacher ... recently Googled a phrase in one student's paper and found it had been taken from a sample essay of an online editing service” ( Chris Berdik).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A particular Internet company.
- proper n. A search engine that popularized the company of the same name.
- proper n. A service mark owned by Google Inc.
- v. To search for, using Google (or, rarely, another Internet search engine).
- v. To investigate, using Google.
- v. To search on the Internet using Google.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a widely used search engine that uses text-matching techniques to find web pages that are important and relevant to a user's search
- v. search the internet (for information) using the Google search engine
Three months after it began redirecting traffic from its censored, China-based google. cn site to a less-regulated site based in Hong Kong, google. hk, Google said Monday night that it would stop sending Chinese users to the Hong Kong page automatically.
Images of the tanks on Tienanmen Square in the horrible student suppression, again turned up on the google.cn website results as Google openly challenged the rules by which it has had to play in China.
If 40% of the time people said "I'll google it" they then went and used Yahoo or Bing, Google might be a lot less happy about the situation.
When people need information, they “google” it and give Google credit for finding information that content creators are desperately working to make findable on Google with the help of a well-paid army of SEO consultants.
Culture, People twitter.com/googletalks - notes from our @Google speaker series twitter.com/googlejobs - the voice of Google recruiters
Meanwhile, Yahoo! launched its own research laboratory in January, and Cutting himself is building an open-source alternative to Google see Keeping an Eye on Google.
But Google logs just 2 per cent of the information brought in through Google Suggest, in order to improve the feature, Mr. Rakowski said, and makes this data anonymous within 24 hours.
You can use + (eg +México) which helps somewhat but there will be other factors such as the google search sitee (eg google.es vs google.com), language of the google home page, the IP number, and whether personalized Google is on.
They dropped google.co.jp's pagerank from a nine to a five in the Google seearch toolbar.
… By allowing people to do site searches whilst still on google.co.uk, Google is potentially reducing the number of page, and therefore advert, impressions that these newspapers may be getting.