from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- abbr. Iowa
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- abbr. Iowa, a state of the United States of America.
- Initialism of immediate action. This is the procedure to determine the cause of a rifle stoppage
- Initialism of Institute of Arts.
- Initialism of information assurance.
- Initialism of internal affairs. This is a department responsible for investigating complaints against police officers.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A termination in Latin and Greek nouns (chiefly feminine), many of them in English use, being -a preceded by -i-, a stem-vowel, formative or euphonic, as in tib-ia, fasc-ia, milit-ia, man-ia, scor-ia, etc. When such forms are Anglicized, the termination becomes -y, as in family, from Latin familia.
- n. A termination in Latin and Greek nouns, many of them in English use, being -a preceded by -i-, a stem-vowel, formative or euphonic, as in regal-ia, saturnal-ia, etc.
- An abbrevation of Iowa.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state in midwestern United States
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The Research & Education Group in IA is conducting a survey aimed at understanding the current status of Information Architecture (IA) in Higher Education.
I think I first came across the term IA in about 1999.
HOPPER: Well, Larry, tomorrow is what they call the IA, the initial appearance, so it's too early in the overall proceedings of the case like this, to start making predictions.
I can name several in IA and NE who had "conflicts" and cancelled multiple town halls!
For some people, IA is old hat — a relic of the days when websites were mere collections of linked text files.
Like i said, i now live in IA and won't be making it down home to deer hunt until after the Nov. 19 deadline, but i know many of my family members will be participating.
Sgt, Army; In country Sept 69 - May 72; wounded 3rd tour; guest speaker on tour in IA mid 80's - on PTSD and his experiences.
I had no idea there are THAT many KKK groups – even in IA and OH … ..
But I guess that depends on where you place your Crayon line on the map – for some, anything south of OH, IN, IL, PA, IA is "the south." craig
There is a similar race across the mississippi river in IA-01, where I live.