from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A state of the northwest United States bordering on Canada. It was admitted as the 41st state in 1889. Most of the area passed to the United States through the Louisiana Purchase of 1803 and was explored by Lewis and Clark in 1805 and 1806. Split for many years among other western territories, the region was organized as the Montana Territory in 1864. Helena is the capital and Billings the largest city. Population: 958,000.
- Montana, Joseph, Jr. Born 1956. American football player. A quarterback mainly with the San Francisco 49ers (1980-1992), he is among the National Football League's leaders in career passing yardage. He was the NFL most valuable player twice.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A state of the United States of America. Capital: Helena.
- proper n. A town and province in northwestern Bulgaria.
- proper n. A female or male given name transferred from the name of the U.S. state.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See monte, 1.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a state in northwestern United States on the Canadian border
MAX BAUCUS (D), MONTANA: Montana, with our resource-based agriculture and tourism economies, cannot afford the unmitigated impacts of climate change.
BRIAN SCHWEITZER (D), MONTANA: Of course, Obama has been to Montana five times.
BRIAN SCHWEITZER (D), MONTANA: Well, that's kind of a normal Tuesday night in Montana.
VOICE OF MARTIN DAVIS, MONTANA RANCHER: Montana has spent millions of dollars through the years to get brucellosis eradicated from our livestock.
CATHY CONOVER, MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY: We're hoping that everything is OK and the students are doing something in terms of visiting New York City, instead of coming to Bozeman, Montana.
JOE URIBE, MONTANA DIVISION OF CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION: Well, I was involved in the case at the Montana state workers compensation employment auditor.
MONTANA: Benefits 44,000 workers in Montana, representing 19.7 percent of all hourly workers in the state.
Save on west yellowstone montana hotels hotels in Montana.
MONTANA FIRES 2 Montana wildfires each about 175 acres ANACONDA, Mont.
MONTANA JAIL Montana jail contract worth $2. 6M a year BILLINGS, Mont.