from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Newman, John Henry 1801-1890. British prelate and theologian. A founder of the Oxford movement, he converted to Roman Catholicism (1845) and was made a cardinal (1879).
- Newman, Paul Leonard Born 1925. American actor and director who starred in such films as Cool Hand Luke (1967), The Sting (1973), and The Color of Money (1986), for which he won an Academy Award.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A surname meaning "a new man, a newcomer".
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States film actor (born in 1925)
- n. English prelate and theologian who (with John Keble and Edward Pusey) founded the Oxford movement; Newman later turned to Roman Catholicism and became a cardinal (1801-1890)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
He put up a huge welcome, paul newman sign and an enormous photograph of Newman and Hotch in Butch Cassidy costumes with a caption that read, “Butch Cassidy is also a gourmet cook.”
A month after her death Cardinal Newman had written: [Footnote: _Letters of John Henry Newman_, Anne Mozley.] "Of late years my mother has much misunderstood my religious views, and considered she differed from me;
You are stating what I refer to as Newman's Fallacy.
She draws a parallel between St Thomas More's Christian humanism and his defence of the Papacy with what she describes as Newman's Christian humanism, which came with a love of beauty, a revival of patristic thought, scholarly thought about conscience.
As it turns out, English professor Rich Newman is in the process of translating the Book of Kings, and wrote a moving post about how it ties into the current unrest:
Anchors like Walter Cronkite, Edwin Newman and Charles Kuralt were not telegenic news hunks like the current crop of wading pools, but were respected for their knowledge and their gravitas.
Newman is discharged with a prescription for an inhaler.
Lewis Newman is wheezing as he walks into the ER, struggling to breathe.
Tony Newman is the director of media relations at the Drug Policy Alliance.
Newman is certain the Oscar “was stolen by an irate student who wanted to erase Hattie McDaniel.”