from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Stevens, George 1905-1975. American filmmaker who directed A Place in the Sun (1951), Giant (1956), and numerous other motion pictures.
- Stevens, John Paul Born 1920. American jurist who was appointed an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court in 1975.
- Stevens, Nettie Marie 1861-1912. American cytogeneticist whose studies on the chromosomes of the common mealworm led to the discovery of the chromosomal determination of sex.
- Stevens, Thaddeus 1792-1868. American politician. A U.S. representative from Pennsylvania (1849-1853 and 1859-1868), he led the impeachment proceedings against President Andrew Johnson (1868).
- Stevens, Wallace 1879-1955. American poet whose artful and innovative works, including "Peter Quince at the Clavier” and "Sunday Morning” (both 1923), concern the role of imagination in bringing order to a chaotic world.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English patronymic surname derived from the given name Steven.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. United States psychologist and psychophysicist who proposed Stevens' power law to replace Fechner's law (1906-1973)
- n. United States filmmaker (1905-1975)
- n. United States poet (1879-1955)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
October 18th, 2009 CARLY SIMON snubbed ex-boyfriend CAT STEVENS when he reached out decades after their split, because she'd forgotten he'd converted to Islam and changed his name to YUSUF ISLAM The two musicians dated for seven months in the early 1970s, but lost touch and Stevens quit music to dedicate his life to his newfound religion.
ETHICS -- SENATE MAJORITY LEADER REID SAYS STEVENS 'IS NOT GOING TO BE ABLE TO SERVE' IN THE SENATE: On Saturday, Sen. Daniel Inouye (D-HI) issued a statement declaring that his close but embattled friend, Sen. Ted Stevens (R-AK) would "retain his Senate seat while the legal process moves forward" regarding Stevens 'recent conviction on seven counts of lying on Senate disclosure forms to hide hundreds of thousands of dollars in gifts.
"I think Jerramy Stevens is a good young man," Allen said.
I used Fereral premium #4 shot hunting Merriman Turkey this past fall in Stevens County, Wa.
Just so everyone knows, Val Stevens is absolutely insane.
Cedar Stevens is hooping upside down while hanging from a lyra at a C.U. @Circus gathering in Austin, Texas.
Stevens is poised to do nicely himself; if he successfully eschews all forms of currency through May 2011, he'll win $100,000.
Take "Sudden Impact," a white-tailed deer raised at Wilderness Whitetails in Stevens Point, Wis.
Alaska GOP wants a new election now that Sen. Stevens is off the hook.
Stevens is 89-15 in three seasons since taking over for Todd Lickliter and no doubt has now earned the attention of recruits that might have passed tiny Butler over for higher-profile offers.