from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Turner, Frederick Jackson 1861-1932. American historian who emphasized the importance of the frontier in American history.
- Turner, Joseph Mallord William 1775-1851. British painter whose abstract treatment of light, color, and space influenced the French impressionists. His works include Sun Rising Through Vapour (1807).
- Turner, Joseph Vernon Known as "Big Joe.” 1911-1985. American jazz and blues singer. Noted for a singing style which resembles shouting, he contributed greatly to the development of rhythm and blues.
- Turner, Nat 1800-1831. American slave leader who organized about 70 followers and led a rebellion in Virginia, during which approximately 50 whites were killed (1831). He was then captured and executed.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English and Scottish surname.
Turner on the bench was the most outrageous he had ever witnessed in any court in which he had practiced; "and the tenor and effect of his whole testimony was in the highest degree condemnatory of the conduct of Judge Turner_.
What the Court did not do in Turner is what Congress wants it to do here.
Brian says she should pick The Temptations, but I think Tina Turner is the way to go here.
This year's winner confirms that the prize conceived as a rival to the Turner is a clumsy Frankenstein mistake which should be allowed to die in a dark corner.
Every night without fail, Jim Turner is there at the far corner of the bar, chain-smoking his Marlboros and sipping ice-cold San Miguel from the bottle, watching over the Little Ones.
Megan Whalen Turner is not a prolific writer but her books The Thief, The Queen of Attolia and The King of Attolia are almost unbelievably good.
One of those things we should remember from then is the leadership vacuum that pervaded the district in Turner's time in the late 1990s.
F Ray Turner is another frontcourt player with upside.
Laurence Fishburne, who brilliantly portrayed Ike Turner, is the first of the movie husbands on this list to be nominated for an Academy Award.
Even our poets, the supposed deliverers of “news that stays news,” have been comparatively mum; Brian Turner is the only major poet to yet emerge from Iraq.