from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- Ward, (Aaron) Montgomery 1843-1913. American merchant who established (1872) the mail-order business that bears his name.
- Ward 1, Artemus 1727-1800. American Revolutionary general who directed Massachusetts troops in the siege of Boston, until George Washington relieved him of the command and drove the British from the city (1776).
- Ward 2, Artemus See Charles Farrar Browne.
- Ward, Mary Augusta Arnold Known as Mrs. Humphry Ward. 1851-1920. British writer whose novels include Robert Elsmere (1888).
- Ward, Nathaniel Pen name Theodore de la Guard. 1578?-1652. English clergyman and writer in America. He codified Massachusetts law (1641) and is primarily known for his satire The Simple Cobler of Aggawam in America (1645).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. An English occupational surname for a guard or watchman.
In future years, the ward is expected to host $386 million in bond issues and tax abatements; Ward 2, again in second place, is set to receive $137 million.
JOBS IN WARD 8 -- On Sunday A1, the Post's Dana Hedgpeth looked at unemployment in Ward 8 through the eyes of Angie Walker, 46, and finds a problem that defies political solutions.
The Republican candidates in the other ward races - Marc Morgan in Ward 1, Dave Hedgpeth in Ward 3 and Jim DeMartino in Ward 6 - support school reform, making D.C. a greener city, innovative economic development and targeted social services, and want to combat government waste.
WARD 8 IN REVIEW -- More coverage of Monday's Ward 8 forum!
"He barely won the ward he represented for eight years by a razor-thin margin," said spokesman James Jones, who pointed out that Brown won the straw poll in his home Ward 7 with more than 60 percent of the vote.
Not even in my ward, Ward 3, which is where pretty much all the DC Republicans live.
Just seven killings occurred in the ward that encompasses the White House, Georgetown and Dupont Circle, while none occurred in Ward 3, home to suburban communities such as Chevy Chase.
Of all the ward election history that I've posted so far, Ward 13 is actually pretty volatile when you look at its history.
Atkins remained in the ward, but they transferred the woman that day to Ward 43-F, another acute unit.
"He opposes unions in the service industries and has done nothing to provide good jobs for people in his own ward," the union says, rejecting the Ward 2 councillor's claims that he is bringing thousands of jobs to Rexdale with the Woodbine Live entertainment-relax complex.