from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A muscle that draws a body part, such as a finger, arm, or toe, inward toward the median axis of the body or of an extremity.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A muscle which draws a limb or part of the body toward the middle line of the body, or closes extended parts of the body; -- opposed to abductor; as, the adductor of the eye, which turns the eye toward the nose.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A muscle which draws a limb or part of the body toward the middle line of the body, or closes extended parts of the body; -- opposed to
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. adductors (-torz) or adductores (ad-uk-tō′ rēz). In anatomy and zoology, that which adducts; specifically, the name of several muscles which draw certain parts to or toward one common center or median line: the opposite of abductor.
- Of or pertaining to an adductor; having the function of adducting; adducent: as, the adductor muscles of the thigh: opposed to abductor.
- In malacology, the muscles which draw together or close the valves in bivalve mollusks. See cut under Waldheimia.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a muscle that draws a body part toward the median line
Where Mr. Calderwood lost me was when he described a tear to his right inner thigh adductor muscle that probably called for him to hang up his running shoes indefinitely.
The All Blacks No10 was ruled out of the Rugby World Cup when he tore his left adductor on 1 October, the day before New Zealand's pool match against Canada.
There should be resistance from the adductor muscle within the shell.
If you do remove the shells, make sure to scrape the adductor muscle that holds the meat to the shell.
Gerrard has not played since damaging an adductor muscle in the win at Chelsea on 6 February and, despite returning to training, is not expected to start the second leg tie against the Czech champions at Anfield.
SS Yunel Escobar (strained left adductor muscle) went on the 15-day disabled list retroactive to April 30.
Liverpool went into the West Ham game without Daniel Agger (leg), Sotirios Kyrgiakos (head), Fabio Aurelio (adductor muscle) and the record signing Andy Carroll, and all four may also miss the United match.
Liverpool will give late fitness tests to Steven Gerrard, Martin Kelly, Daniel Agger and Glen Johnson before the game, with the captain still rated as doubtful having missed the last three matches with an adductor strain.
Somehow, triceps and adductor muscles screaming in protest, I make it, urged onwards, it has to be said, by Forsythe's laughter from the sidelines.
A scan this afternoon confirmed Torres suffered a strain rather than a tear but, having damaged his left adductor in the World Cup final and previously struggled with a hernia, Liverpool will not rush the striker's recovery, even for a game of huge importance for their beleaguered manager.