from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The incarnation of a Hindu deity, especially Vishnu, in human or animal form.
- n. An embodiment, as of a quality or concept; an archetype: the very avatar of cunning.
- n. A temporary manifestation or aspect of a continuing entity: occultism in its present avatar.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. In Hinduism the incarnation of a deity, particularly Vishnu.
- n. The physical embodiment of an idea or concept; a personification.
- n. A digital representation or handle of a person or being; often, it can take on any of various forms, as a participant chooses. i.e. 3D, animated, photo, sketch
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The descent of a deity to earth, and his incarnation as a man or an animal; -- chiefly associated with the incarnations of Vishnu.
- n. An incarnation, embodiment or personification of a principle, quality, or attitude; -- used of people, mostly in a positive sense as a manifestation of a behavior or character worthy of admiration.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In Hindu myth., the descent of a deity to the earth in an incarnate form or some manifest shape; the incarnation of a god.
- n. Hence A remarkable appearance, manifestation, or embodiment of any kind; a descent into a lower sphere; an adorable or wonderful exhibition of an abstract idea, principle, etc., in concrete form: as, “The Irish Avatar” (a poem by Byron on a visit of George IV. to Ireland); “the avatar of mathematics,”
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a new personification of a familiar idea
- n. the manifestation of a Hindu deity (especially Vishnu) in human or superhuman or animal form
* @param string $avatar Users assigned avatar name
Recently, the term avatar has been used to signify "an interactive representation of a human in a virtual reality environment",
Where even the word avatar is Asian (Hindu). addition to the Chinese characters above the title.
Daisies - flowers of some kind for my avatar is a great idea.
Since my avatar is a Japanese hunting badge, Kanagawa Prefecture, from 1958, the year I was born (in case you missed that post way back when) ... that would be 51.
The AR in my avatar is a Rock River 24 1-in-8 twist varmint model with a 4. 5-30x50 Bushnell 6500 on it.
Ya avatar is the highest grossing film of all time, but i read somewhere that it's only like 25th or somethin in terms of ticket sales.
Courtney, your avatar is a pretty cute picture, too!
His still-fresh, still-astounding cyberpunk parody "Snow Crash" 1992 standardized use of the Sanskrit word "avatar" to denote virtual human identities and came impressively close to predicting how the Internet would come to be understood, which is to say as a "metaverse" paradoxically larger than the world that enfolds it.
Recently, the term avatar has been used to signify "an interactive representation of