from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. The supreme commander of all the armed forces of a nation.
- n. The officer commanding a major armed force.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Supreme commander of the armed forces of an entire country.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the military title of the officer who has supreme command of the land or naval forces or the united forces of a nation or state; a generalissimo. .
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The commander of all the armies of a state or nation; the chief military commander.
- n. In the navy, a flag-officer commanding an independent fleet or squadron.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the officer who holds the supreme command
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.