from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A thin layer of flat epithelial cells that lines serous cavities, lymph vessels, and blood vessels.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A thin layer of flat epithelial cells that lines the heart, serous cavities, lymph vessels, and blood vessels.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. The thin epithelium lining the blood vessels, lymphatics, and serous cavities. See epithelium.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In anatomy, the tissue, somewhat resembling epithelium, which lines serous cavities, blood-vessels, and lymphatics.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an epithelium of mesoblastic origin; a thin layer of flattened cells that lines the inside of some body cavities
A single layer of cells called the endothelium lines the walls of every blood vessel in the body.
The endothelium is the thin layer of cells that line the interior surface of blood vessels.
This inner lining called the endothelium is only a single cell thick yet it controls the activity of the entire artery.
The endothelium is the single layer of cells that lines all the arteries in the body.
The lining of the wall, called the endothelium, can sustain just so much injury from elevation of blood pressure and stresses on the arterial wall.
Underneath the endothelium is the wavy elastic lamina.
This finding, according to an editorial accompanying the study, suggests a possible mechanism linking migraine headaches and cardiovascular events: the functioning of the inner layer of blood vessels, known as the endothelium, might be compromised in vessels both inside and outside the brains of migraine sufferers.
The endothelium is the thin barrier that separates circulating blood from the smooth muscle interior of the artery.
The cells that line blood vessels, called the endothelium, produce NO in a few biochemical steps.
The endothelium is the inner lining of blood vessels.