from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. Rhode Island & Southeastern Massachusetts See milk shake. See Regional Note at milk shake.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. Liqueur poured over shaved ice.
  • n. Iced, sweetened, beaten coffee drink
  • n. Thick milkshake containing ice cream.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. liqueur poured over shaved ice
  • n. thick milkshake containing ice cream
  • n. a frozen dessert with fruit flavoring (especially one containing no milk)


Alteration of frappé.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.

  • No idea what Weirdnet is going on about, but in New England a frappe is what we call an ice cream milkshake. A fine example can be had at the Fat Boy Drive-In, on Bath Road between Brunswick and Cook's Corner.

    December 30, 2007