from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Having no useful result.
- adj. Trifling and frivolous; idle: the futile years after her artistic peak.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Incapable of producing results; useless; not successful; not worth attempting.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Talkative; loquacious; tattling.
- adj. Of no importance; answering no useful end; useless; vain; worthless.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Frivolous; merely loquacious.
- Of no effect; answering no valuable purpose; useless; ineffective; trifling: as, futile efforts; futile prattle.
- Synonyms Trivial, frivolous, unimportant, useless, bootless, unavailing, profitless, vain, idle.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. producing no result or effect
- adj. unproductive of success
It will cost millions in marketing and promotion, or what I call a futile attempt and waste of shareholder equity.
Cape Town after the union staged a go-slow following what it termed futile wage negotiations.
Based on this dubious proposition, the researchers bizarrely advocate what they call "futile busyness, namely, busyness serving no purpose other than to prevent idleness."
TEHRAN (Reuters) - The wife of Iranian opposition leader Mirhossein Mousavi says her 62-year-old brother was among those detained after last month's disputed election in what she called a futile attempt to ...
Instead, almost a year has been wasted in futile attempts to appease the Republicans and the Mass. disaster has struck.
Whether this makes one's dependence on translation for access to so many important writers seem less, or more, futile is a hard question to answer.
Saying that an ordinary death in combat was futile is hard enough, without being associated with others who call it criminal or dishonorable.
I think the ultimate in futile laws – at least from its title – was the Humphrey-Hawkins Full Employment Act of 1978.
Sincere apologies for any lost time spent middle-clicking a taskbar button in futile window-killing attempts.
How futile is it to bash one party with the other?