from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A branch of an olive tree regarded as an emblem of peace.
- n. An offer of peace: bore an olive branch to the new round of negotiations.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Used other than as an idiom: A branch of an olive tree.
- n. Such a branch offered as an emblem of peace.
- n. Any symbol of peace, or peace offering to an adversary to show good will and in the hope of securing peace.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A child.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. something offered to an adversary in the hope of obtaining peace
With reference to classical myth, where the olivebranch was a symbol of peace and prosperity, merging with Biblical allusion to Genesis 8:11, where a dove returns to Noah's ark as a sign that the Flood is subsiding. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.