from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To depict or represent pictorially; make a picture of.
- transitive v. To depict or describe in words.
- transitive v. To represent dramatically, as on the stage. See Synonyms at represent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To paint or draw the likeness of.
- v. To describe in words; to convey.
- v. To play a role; to depict a character or person.
- v. To adorn with pictures.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To paint or draw the likeness of.
- transitive v. Hence, figuratively, to describe in words.
- transitive v. To adorn with pictures.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To depict; reproduce the lineaments of; draw or paint to the life.
- To depict or describe vividly in words; describe graphically or vividly.
- To adorn with pictures or portraits.
- Synonyms and To delineate, sketch, represent.
- To paint.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. make a portrait of
- v. represent abstractly, for example in a painting, drawing, or sculpture
- v. assume or act the character of
- v. portray in words
How much of what you portray is true and how much is pure invention?
They are also actively hostile toward stories which concern matters military that again portray those matters as anything other than negative.
Coincidentally I watched Michael Palin portray him last night.
How will Palin portray herself as the victim in this incident?
The image they portray is pretty much what our children mimic.
What this video attempts to portray is of a humble Hillary being called lead the struggle.
The world they portray is in most ways quite as advanced as our own, and in some, much more so.
I really think what's driving it is much of what Hans and I tried to portray, which is the complexity of wells and how those wells are changing over time.
Strang agrees: "Industry loves to say they're all about responsible drinking, but how does their marketing and labelling portray responsibility?"
But the newly discovered bust and coins portray her as much more beautiful.