from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To have as a requisite; need: Most plants require sunlight.
- transitive v. To call for as obligatory or appropriate; demand. See Synonyms at demand.
- transitive v. To impose an obligation on; compel: Students are required to attend classes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To demand; to insist upon having; to claim as by right and authority; to exact.
- transitive v. To demand or exact as indispensable; to need.
- transitive v. To ask as a favor; to request.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To search for; seek.
- To ask for as a favor; request.
- To ask or claim, as of right and by authority; demand; insist on having; exact.
- To ask or order to do something; call on.
- To have need or necessity for; render necessary or indispensable; demand; need; want.
- =Syn. 2–4. Request, Beg, etc. (see ask), enjoin (upon), prescribe, direct, command.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. have need of
- v. make someone do something
- v. consider obligatory; request and expect
- v. require as useful, just, or proper
Socialism, which require, on one hand, that we lay the foundation for the Socialist organization of emulation, and, on the other hand, _require the use of compulsion so that the slogan of the dictatorship of the proletariat should not be weakened by the practice of a too mild proletarian government_.
Not all uses of the term require reference to a divinity or divinities.
Why, for example, does the definition require that a map depict data over time?
The word "require" appears 811 times in the 244-page rule and its 103-page supplement.
For this crazy idea to stick, we require a Latin word *handus, but as the reader can tell by the asterisk, it doesn't exist at least as far as I know.
"All it's going to require is for those guys to do their normal competitions," Jarrett says.
The auto insurance requirement that most states require is a poor analogy to the health care mandate for a number of reasons.
I say all this to say that if you should try this “Rauchwein” and not find it to your liking, all that it might require is an appropriate food pairing.
In the end, I think, what we require is a new mind set, one which grasps afresh that architecture isn't just about aesthetics.
All it would require is House passage for it to become law.