from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A grid or pattern placed in the eyepiece of an optical instrument, used to establish scale or position.

from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License

  • n. A grid, network, or crosshatch found in the eyepiece of various optical instruments to aid measurement or alignment
  • n. A small net

from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English

  • n. A small net.
  • n. A reticule. See Reticule, 2.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. Same as reticule, 2.

from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.

  • n. a network of fine lines, dots, cross hairs, or wires in the focal plane of the eyepiece of an optical instrument


Latin rēticulum, diminutive of rēte, net.
(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Late Latin reticulum, diminutive of Latin rete ("net"). (Wiktionary)



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.