from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- transitive v. To carry clumsily or with difficulty; lug: schlepped a shopping bag around town.
- intransitive v. To move slowly or laboriously: schlepped around with the twins in a stroller.
- n. An arduous journey.
- n. A clumsy or stupid person.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To carry, drag, or lug.
- v. To go, as on an errand or task.
- v. To act in a slovenly, lazy, or sloppy manner.
- n. A long or burdensome journey.
- n. A boring person, a drag.
- n. A sloppy or slovenly person.
- n. A "pull" or influence.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (Yiddish) an awkward and stupid person
- v. pull along heavily, like a heavy load against a resistance
- n. a tedious or difficult journey
I told my husband that I will never again "schlep" around the house in rags.
If you're not familiar with the word schlep, in its noun form, it means arduous journey.
In another puzzle the clue "Lug Laboriously" led to the Yiddish word schlep.
ZARRELLA: The schlep was the talk of his grandparents 'retirement community.
ZARRELLA: The schlep was the talk of his grandparents 'retirement community -- so much so, a crowd of more than 100 packed a ballroom to hear his pitch.
ZARRELLA: The schlep was the talk of his grandparents 'retirement community, so much so a crowd of more than 100 packed a ballroom to hear his pitch.
Or, if you're a kosher cyclocrosser, you may "schlep" your bike over barriers and worry about whether your frame has adequate "schmutz clearance."
I didn't really need it; I just wanted to make him "schlep" it all the way to Brooklyn since it seemed like an appropriately intern-y thing to do.
In order to personally learn something of the great pleasure to be had spending a few hours with Nicolle Rochelle, I urge everyone: make the 'schlep' to New Jersey.
GreatSchlep has also established a Facebook. com group that provides instructions on what to do and say when members "schlep" home to campaign for Obama on or around Columbus Day.