from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- pro. Used to refer to the woman or girl previously mentioned or implied. See Usage Note at I1.
- pro. Used to refer to a female animal.
- pro. Used in place of it to refer to certain inanimate things, such as ships and nations, traditionally perceived as female: "The sea is mother-death and she is a mighty female” ( Anne Sexton).
- n. A female animal or person: Is the cat a she?
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- pro. A female person or animal.
- pro. A ship or country.
- pro. Machinery such as cars and steam engines.
- pro. he/she. used arbitrarily with he for an indefinite person in order to be gender-neutral.
- n. A female.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- pro. This or that female; the woman understood or referred to; the animal of the female sex, or object personified as feminine, which was spoken of.
- pro. A woman; a female; -- used substantively.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- 3d pers. fem., possessive her or hers, objective her; nom. pl. they, possessive their or theirs, objective them. The nominative feminine of the pronoun of the third person, used as a substitute for the name of a female, or of something personified in the feminine. Compare he, especially for the forms her, hers.
- She is often used by people of small education or of comparatively secluded lives for the female that is chief in importance to the speaker, especially a wife; in this case it has a peculiar emphasis, separating the person referred to from all other women: as, “Sit down, she 'll be here in a minute.” Compare the similar use of he.
- She was formerly and is still dialectally sometimes used as an indeclinable form.
- In the English of the Scotch Highlanders she is commonly used for he; so her for his.
- n. A female person; a woman: correlative to he, a man.
- n. A female animal; a beast, bird, or fish of the female sex: correlative to he, a male animal: hence used attributively or as an adjective prefix, signifying ‘female,’ with names of animals, or, in occasional or humorous use, of other beings: as, a she-bear, a she-cat, a she-devil, etc. See he, n., 2.
As she reports in the journal�Science, �she was able develop a computer model that used 150 genetic markers, specific bits of DNA scattered around the 23 pairs of human chromosomes, to predict who would be able to join the centenarian club.
The blatant bounce in her breasts as she jogged gave away one simple, undeniable truth: she was the neighborhood slut.
And if Palin does run for president in 2012 she would get stomped so badly, by her own party, that they would need her dental records to identify her..she doesnt have an ice cubes chance in hell of winning!
Now, she& BIll are acting just like Southerners who refuse to accept they loss the Civil War, she continues to wave her confederate flag and rally her starsandbars crowd with noise about 'symbolic' balloting and 'honoringandrespecting' their LOSS.
Hillary just kicked a field goal, and is now berating the referees because she doesn't understand why * she* shouldn't be the winner ....
Looking back it just seemed she was feeling sorry for herself: she wasn't pretty, she didn't keep friends for very long, she was lonely, she was unhappy with the world, she couldn't even put into words what this life was for.
Nadya says she loves kids……..she needs to have enough “love” for them so they may have proper, loving care.
Abortion is not even the issue here..she chose to be implanted so it was not like she was having sex and Oops she got pregnant…she CHOSE to be implanted.
Josh Jackson always impresses with his enthusiasm for whatever project he is involved with and he seems to really know his stuff with the whole concept of 'Fringe'. poor Anna seemed a little overwhelmed and unsure of what she was or was not allowed to say on camera..she will have mastered her interview technique by the start of the 2nd season of the show, hopefully!
And after a time, seeing the plants she has planted as seeds grow up and then bloom, for the first time in a long time…..she smiles.