from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. One who works at a particular occupation or activity: an office worker.
- n. One who does manual or industrial labor.
- n. A member of the working class.
- n. A member of a colony of social insects such as ants, bees, wasps, or termites, usually a sterile female but often a sexually immature individual of either sex, that performs specialized work such as building the nest, collecting and storing food, and feeding other members of the colony.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A person who performs labor for his living, especially manual labor.
- n. A nonreproductive social insect, such as ant, bee, termite or wasp.
- n. A thread performing one instance of a particular task within a program.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who, or that which, works; a laborer; a performer.
- n. One of the neuter, or sterile, individuals of the social ants, bees, and white ants. The workers are generally females having the sexual organs imperfectly developed. See Ant, and White ant, under White.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which works; a laborer; a toiler; a performer; a doer.
- n. In entomology, the neuter or undeveloped female of various social hymenopterous and a few other insects, as bees, ants, and termites, which collects pollen, makes honey, builds or fabricates cells or a nest, stores up food, cares for the young, herds and milks the aphids kept as cows, and performs other services for the community of which it is a member.
- n. Maker; creator.
- n. In a carding-machine, one of the urchins, or small card-covered cylinders.
- n. A leather-workers' two-handled knife, used in scraping hides.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a member of the working class (not necessarily employed)
- n. a person who works at a specific occupation
- n. sterile member of a colony of social insects that forages for food and cares for the larvae
- n. a person who acts and gets things done
Unemployement benefits are not tax payer dollars in the sense that a worker is a tax payer.
He says there was an effort early on among EPA officials to look at possible illegal behavior, based on what he described as worker complaints that management repeatedly ignored warnings that the corrosion problem needed to be addressed.
Because state laws vary, even if a worker is exempt under the FLSA, state law may entitle the worker to overtime pay.
I believe, first and foremost of all, that the welfare of the worker is the chief consideration.
And, although the positioning of the child looks the same, the angle of the shot looks to be about ninety degrees from the first, but in each case, the "worker" is facing towards the camera.
While I would love it if the whole world could prosper together, I am not going to support policies that openly reduce the wealth of the working/middle-class of the US no matter how much wealthier an unemployed auto worker is compared to a peason in Laos.
No, according to Republicans, each unemployed worker is responsible for his situation, and it's not the role of government to intervene to help.
Robyn Few, a prominent activist and former sex worker, is one common target.
Every time an undocumented worker is forced to accept bad wages or sub standard working conditions, pressure is placed on native born workers to accept less as well.
But despite such progress, last Friday a worker from the Federal Emergency Management Agency delivered a letter informing him that it would soon repossess the trailer that is, for now, his only home.