from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A genus of boring bivalves, of the family Pholadidæ, as X. dorsalis.
- noun [lowercase] A member of this genus.
- noun A series of Hymenoptera ditrocha, in Hartig's classification (1837), containing only the family Uroceridæ: distinguished from the Phyllophaga on the one hand and the Parasitica on the other. Compare these two words.
- noun A group of rhynchophorous insects.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
- noun (Zoöl.) A genus of marine bivalves which bore holes in wood. They are allied to Pholas.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.