from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- suffix State or condition: dependence.
- suffix Action: emergence.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- suffix Same as -ance; having the state or condition of.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A noun suffix signifying action, state, or quality; also, that which relates to the action or state; as in emergence, diffidence, diligence, influence, difference, excellence. See -ance.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- See -ance, -ancy, and -ent.
Middle English, from Latin -entia (from -ēns, -ent-, -ent) and from Old French -ance, -ance.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From French, from Latin -entia. (Wiktionary)