from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- suffix A place for: bakery.
- suffix A collection or class: finery.
- suffix A state or condition: slavery.
- suffix Act; practice: bribery.
- suffix Characteristics or qualities of: snobbery.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- suffix Trade or craft of
- suffix Place of
- suffix Class or group, collection of
- suffix Characteristic of
Middle English -erie, from Old French : -er, agent suff. (partly from -ier; see -er1, and partly from -ere, -eor; see -or1) + -ie, noun suff.; see -y2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Anglo-Norman and Old French -erie, a suffix forming abstract nouns. (Wiktionary)