from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- suffix In the manner of; resembling: Lincolnesque.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- suffix In the style or manner of; appended to nouns, especially proper nouns, and forming adjectives.
- suffix Resembling; appended to nouns, especially proper nouns, and forming adjectives.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A suffix of certain words from the French, Italian, and Spanish. It denotes manner or style; like.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A termination in adjectives of French or other Romance origin, meaning ‘having the style or manner of,’ as in grotcsque, picturesq ue, arabesque, Moresque, Dantesque, etc.
The good professor's recent "there's no heaven" moment of "Imagine"-esque aplomb is what it is.
Hardy gained an additional 30 lbs. of muscle thanks to physical training and lived out a "Rocky"-esque fantasy in scenes where he waded through crowds of cheering fans on his way toward the fighting cage.
In other words, investors don't see Harrisburg heralding a Meredith Whitney -esque muni-meltdown.
The judges sit in "Jetsons"-esque chairs facing away from the performers, so they focus only on the quality of the voices.
In forming an adjective, -esque strikes me as a more elegant suffix than -ish, as in enronish or the less critical enronlike.
ABC's new "Desperate Housewives"-esque dramedy has gone through a few good names: "Good Christian Bitches" was toned down a bit to "Good Christian Belles" and...
Driven by mandolin, acoustic guitar and Zuniga's unmistakably Lennon -esque vocals, the tune, co-written by Oreste Gargaro, describes an experience not uncommon for touring musicians: writing a love song while far away from its subject.
Srsly? and are saturated with references to popular culture in a "Scrubs"-y/"Community"-esque attempt to delight the young'uns.
If you don't want a "Nanny Diaries"-esque roman a clef surfacing, it may cost you.
Aside from having a very "Fantastic Four"-esque name, Reed also had a great voice.