from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- suffix Action or process: completion.
- suffix Result of an action or process: indention.
- suffix State or condition: dehydration.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- suffix an action or process, or the result of an action or process
- suffix a state or condition
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A noun suffix denoting act, process, result of an act or a process, thing acted upon, state, or condition
Middle English, from Old French, from Latin -iō, -iōn-, n. suff.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
From Latin suffix -iō (genitive -iōnis), appended to a perfect passive participle to form a noun of action. (Wiktionary)