Help Wordnik hunt for a million missing words by backing our Kickstarter!


from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition

  • n. A structure, such as a house, with steeply angled sides that meet at the top in the shape of the letter A.

from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia

  • n. The A-shaped support for the cylinder-beam and cross-head guides of a vertical engine; the housing.


Sorry, no etymologies found.



Log in or sign up to get involved in the conversation. It's quick and easy.