from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.
- noun A shrubby semi-evergreen plant (Hypericum calycinum) of Eurasia, having yellow flowers with numerous protruding stamens and often grown as a ground cover.
from The Century Dictionary.
- noun A dwarf evergreen shrub, Hypericum calycinum, with large flowers (the largest of the genus) and numerous stamens, a native of southeastern Europe, and sometimes found in cultivation; St.-John'swort: so called from the conspicuous hair-like stamens.
- noun The smoke-tree, Rhus Cotinus.
- noun A species of saxifrage (Saxifraga sarmentosa) found in cultivation; Chinese saxifrage.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License.
- noun Used other than as an idiom: see
Aaron, 's, beard.
from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
[From the prominent tufts of stamens, in reference to Psalms 133:2.]
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
From the reference in Psalms 133:2 in the Bible.
Sorry, no example sentences found.