from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- A city of central Kansas west of Topeka. Dwight D. Eisenhower lived in Abilene during his youth; the Eisenhower Center includes his family homestead, a museum and library, and his grave. Population: 6,440.
- A city of west-central Texas west-southwest of Fort Worth. Founded in 1881 with the coming of the railroad, the city first prospered as a shipping center for cattle. Population: 115,000.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- proper n. A city of west-central Texas west-southwest of Fort Worth; founded in 1881 with the coming of the railroad, the city first prospered as a shipping center for cattle.
- proper n. A city in Kansas.
- adj. Belonging to a prehistoric culture of central Texas, characterized by oval grinding stones.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a town in central Kansas to the west of Topeka; home of Dwight D. Eisenhower
- n. a city in central Texas
ABILENE (April 19, 2010) -- The University of Mary Hardin-Baylor softball team grabbed the lead in the middle innings of both games and the Cru held on for a doubleheader sweep of Hardin-Simmons University Monday afternoon in Abilene.
ABILENE (July 29, 2009) -- The owner of 15 horses will not be allowed to recover the rescued animals that were removed from her Abilene property this month.
ABILENE (AP) - An Abilene woman accused of scalding her twin infants in the bathtub because one of them soiled his diaper has been indicted.
The Dwight D. Eisenhower Library in Abilene, Kan., was not able to find any record of Brodrick being a pilot for Ike.
That money will be obtained from the sale of three adult retail properties that he owns and has now forfeited in Abilene, Amarillo and Merkel, Texas.
For christmas we got a snow storm in Abilene and a limit of ducks, pretty good Christmas Eve if you ask me.
Growing up in Abilene, I had my first Jalapeño burger around 1970 from a mom and pop called Mr. G's and that's what I've always held in my heart as the default as to what would be a burger unique to Texas.
I live in Abilene, Tx. Randy Neugebauer is my Congressman because of corrupt redistricting that took place a few years ago.
(Abilene is prettier than the Oklahoma Panhandle).
Having lived in Abilene, El Paso and Albuquerque, I know exactly what that means.